Re: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:52
From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>

At 03:36 AM 11/23/96, Jason Casey wrote:
>If a plane crash is caused by something more than twice, then surely it
>is more likely to happen again, and some preventative measure should be
>taken to ensure that it doesn't (in fact, I believe that in America, this
>ruling already applies to cars).  It sounds to me like the cause of the
>peruvian crash could have been avoided by the maintenance crew of the
>plane having a checklist to ensure that any 'tape' be removed after
>maintenance, and then that plane not released for flight until the
>checklists have been completed correctly.  It doesn't always take some
>complicated piece of electronics to make things safer.

Checklists probably already exist but it is very hard to get people to
use them.  Another idea though, would be to require Red Ribbons to be
placed on the tape so that it will be apparent to anyone that something
should not be there.  This is a common practice in aviation and could be
used here also.

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com