Re: Thrust reversers [Was: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported]

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:52
From:         jeckstei@rutcor.rutgers.edu (Jonathan Eckstein)

>The DC-8's had the capability of engaging the reversers on the inboard
>engines while in flight.  Doing so was an "emergency" action only.  It
>was not used unless certain specific problems existed.

In the early 80's I took a Delta DC-8-61 flight and noticed that the
inboard reversers were deployed on several occasions while in flight.
The flight was completely routine, as far as I could tell.  I think it
might have something to do with the spoiler setup on the DC-8; the
spoilers are tiny and only seem to be used on landing.