Re: Thrust reversers [Was: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported]

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:52
From:         faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure)

In article <airliners.1996.2557@ohare.Chicago.COM>, dlmurphy@neosoft.com wrote:

> Adam Dobrzycki wrote:
> > When did the necessity of wheels being on the ground in order to
> > allow activating the reversers become a common thing? Did 707s/DC-8s
> > etc. have that, too?
>
> The DC-8's had the capability of engaging the reversers on the inboard
> engines while in flight.  Doing so was an "emergency" action only.  It
> was not used unless certain specific problems existed.

I believe there was an incident years ago in Japan when the pilot of a
DC-8 "went nuts" in the cockpit (whatever that implies) and deployed the
thrust reversers as the plane was on final approach over Tokyo Bay.  The
plane went into the water, but I don't recall if there were any fatalities
or not...

C. Marin Faure
   author, Flying a Floatplane