Re: Fixing airplane after minor crash

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:34

>Recently, there have been 2 "accidents" where a plane was salvageable but
>had some non-trivial damage. (Canadian DC-10 at Vancouver, Tower Air 747
>at JFK).

The Tower Air 747, at least, was written off.  American similarly
wrote off two DC-10s that had seemingly minor incidents at DFW.  In
each of these cases, the aircraft were old and just not worth the
cost to repair.

>How long would such damage typically take to repair before the plane is
>back in the air on commercial service ?

Boeing's AOG (Aircraft On Ground) has had some fairly remarkable feats
which have been well-chronicled.  (I'm sure other manufacturers have
accomplished similar feats, I just haven't read about them.)

Judging by some of these feats, I would be surprised if they could
have gotten the Tower Air 747 back in the air within several days,
assuming they could track down all the parts.

>What happens when an airline gets such a damage in an airport where
>maintenance facilities are not available ?

One of the more remarkable Boeing AOG efforts was an Air France 747
freighter which belly flopped somewhere in India.  The aircraft was
immobile, so Boeing rebuilt it on the spot, essentially rebuilding the
entire lower fuselage of the aircraft.  This took several months, and
I believe they had to build a tent over the whole operating, and even
then work at night, because of the intense heat.

In other words, if the aircraft can't move, they'll put the facilities
there if they have to.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com