Re: MD-11 or is that 1.1? was: AMR.....

Date:         01 Dec 96 04:08:50
From:         graemec@ibm.net

In <airliners.1996.2560@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>The manufacturer (MD) isn't directly involved in the transaction --
>American just sold them to Fed Ex.  MD might have some involvement in
>the conversion to freighters, but that's a separate issue...
>
>>Not to mention the megabux spent on training pilots and mechs, etc.
>
>Most of the pilot training would have been done anyway, ...

Well, yes ... but all modern airliners are sold with a number of warranties.
These are not only for 50,000 miles with free repair of manufacturing defects
like a car, but also cover performance in such areas as fuel burn and main-
tenance costs.  Further, there are possible legal claims on introductory costs
such as crew training if an aircraft fails to meet the specs in the contract.
(I do not know if this is the case with the MD-11 and I'm not alleging that
it is).

If the MD-11 - or any other aircraft - was not performing as warranted, it
would be very surprising if the airframe/engine/parts suppliers were not liable
for some warranty claims.  If the shortfalls are large, they may well decide
that re-purchasing or helping with a trade-in might be the cheapest solution.

Graeme Cant