Re: Thrust reversers [Was: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported]

Date:         25 Nov 96 06:18:50
From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)

In <airliners.1996.2529@ohare.Chicago.COM> Adam Dobrzycki
<adam@head-cfa.harvard.edu> writes:

>=> an Air Malta 737-2K2C with reversers deployed and the nosewheel still
>=> about 3 to 4ft in the air. Unless the airplane is in the middle of a
>=> real gnarly bounce, it looks like only the mains need to to be down.

>I would like to followup on that particular issue. The question is:
>when did the necessity of wheels being on the ground in order to allow
>activating the reversers become a common thing? Did 707s/DC-8s etc.
have that, too?

TR's are used in the DC-8 as speedbrakes.  Many years ago, an AeroMaybe
captain who had just moved up from the DC-8, tried to deploy the
reversers on a DC-10 while on approach to FRA..
He later went on to deep stall a DC-10 and failed to recognize the
stall, then afterward tried to cover it up.  But that's another topic..
RD