Fixing airplane after minor crash

From:         mezei_jf@eisner.decus.org (Jean-Francois Mezei)
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:34
Followups:    1 2 3

Recently, there have been 2 "accidents" where a plane was salvageable but
had some non-trivial damage. (Canadian DC-10 at Vancouver, Tower Air 747
at JFK).

Since neither of these planes could move on their own (even less take-off
and land), I am wondering how repairs woudl be effected and by whom ?

In the case of CP, since it has a maintenance facility at Vancouver, I
*assume* that CP moved the plane to a hangar. Just how would a plane be
towed without a nose gear ?

Would an airline the size of CP have enough maintenance
expertise to fix such a damaged DC-10 ? Or would Douglass employees be
flown to do the repair work ?

Is a total airplane "rebuild" required , or is fixing just the front part
with a good check of the rest sufficient ?

How long would such damage typically take to repair before the plane is
back in the air on commercial service ?

What happens when an airline gets such a damage in an airport where
maintenance facilities are not available ?