Re: Peruvian 757 crash

Date:         25 Nov 96 06:18:50
From:         jfmezei <jfmezei@videotron.ca>
Followups:    1 2 3 4 5 6

ethan@cs.wisc.edu wrote:
> :   Scheduled 14 CFR 129 operation of MARTINAIR HOLLAND (D.B.A. MARTINAIR)
> :   Incident occurred MAY-28-96 at BOSTON, MA
> :   Aircraft: Boeing 767-31AER, registration: PHMCH
> :   Injuries: 202 Uninjured.

<story of 767-300 glass cockpit instruments being erratic and pilots
choosing to land at Boston because failures had become too serious>

When a computer starts acting up, the easiest way to fix it is to reboot
it.

Are there not facilities/instructions on how to reboot all your
computers DURING a flight ? I realise that there would be problems
estimating your current position once computers are back up and telling
the computer that it had awaken right in the middle of a flight.

I was once on a A320 where the pilots explained to us the PAX that the
"computer was not cooperating" and that they had to shut it down and
restart it from scratch and that this would take 8 minutes and that we
would thus be leaving a bit late. I assume a good part of the 8 minutes
was running a checklist and recalibrating stuff, correct ?

Just how long does it take to reboot the computers on a plane ?