Re: Airbus on a roll

Date:         25 Nov 96 06:18:49
From:         Malcolm Weir <malc@deltanet.com>
Followups:    1 2 3 4

H Andrew Chuang wrote (in reply to a post of mine):
> >Why?  USAir's current route system certainly doesn't justify 777's, and
> >even assuming USAir wins big in its ploy of getting London routes, most
> >of the arguments in favor of these routes focus on the smaller markets,
> >like Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (smaller than, say, New
> >York!).
> >
> >For these markets, the 767 and the 757 make a lot of sense, perhaps the
> >757-300 would be a better candidate for the sort of airline that USAir
> >is?
> >
> >Or perhaps the A330 or A340, offering some cockpit commonality with the
> >A320 class?
>
> Haven't you just said  the B777 is too big for USAir?  Then, the same
> argument should apply to the A330 or A340.  Unless you are talking
> about A330-200 and/or A340-200.  However, I don't think Airbus has sold
> many A340-200s for quite a while.  The A330-200 is really competing
> with the B767-300ER.  Since USAir already has some B767s, the -300ER
> makes more sense than the A330-200.  Nevertheless, many aircraft
> acquisitions by airlines don't make common sense.

I sometimes wonder whether anybody ever reads any post in its entirety!
8-)

Would Mr. H Andrew Chuang like to take note of the comment "for these
markets the 767 and 757 make a lot of sense"?

And by his own words, the A330-200 is a competitor of the 767, it is a
good possibility based on the cockpit commonality with the short-haul
fleet.  But you notice the order in which I listed these alternatives?

> >The 777 does seem to be just a bit of a status symbol to some people
> >(for the airline that has everything)!
>
> Nonsense!  The B777-200 is an ideal replacement for the L-1011 and the
> DC-10.  The B777-200IGW can do anything that the MD-11 (and the A340)
> can do.  The B777-300 is an excellent replacement for the
> B747-100/200.

None of which USAir have in their fleet!  I was responding to the person
who hoped "USAir would still order some Boeings, perhaps 777s".

[ And a minor nit: the B777-200IGW is still a "future" airplane.  There
are none in service; so, while talking about futures, don't leave out
the A340-8000, which has a longer range than the -200IGW.  So the
suggestion that the -200IGW "can do anything that the A340 can do" is
not 100% correct -- although from an airline perspective (esp. USAir),
is probably as near as makes no difference! ]

Malc.