Re: TWA Flight 400 accident

Date:         25 Nov 96 06:18:47
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>The NTSB investigators are ignoring the 4th. possible cause of this
>accident.
>After the bomb, missle and mechanical failure theories there is the
>"induced pilot reaction" to erroneous flight instrument indications
>including gyro instrument precessing due to a weather induced pitch-up, or
>wake turbulence from a preceeding aircraft.

They're also "ignoring" loss of all four engines due to a volcanic
dust cloud.  Perhaps they fail to see how instrumentation error or
pilot reaction to such error could cause a fuel tank to explode.
Also, the FDR would show signs of the problems you describe, not a
perfectly normal climb until the FDR simply stops, coincident with
the breakup of the aircraft as depicted by ground radar.

>All pilots, especially those flying swept-wing aircraft should read the
>CAB report SA-372 on the Northwest Airlines Boeing 720B accident near
>Miami, FL on February 12, 1963. This report is the classic example of a
>weather induced pitch-up and pilot induced upset accident.

I'm not familiar with that incident, and I suspect many other readers
of the group aren't either.  How 'bout telling us a bit more about it?

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com