Re: Reuters Story On Peru Boeing 757 Crash and DR

Date:         23 Nov 96 20:09:56
From:         adowney@iol.ie (Ann Downey/Fergus Kavanagh)

khobar@paloverde.com (Paul Nixon) wrote:

ctually, I think you'll find that there Turkish ground crewman who
>bent the cargo door handle flush with the plane. The door was never
>securely closed to begin with, and for whatever reason, this ground
>crewman never wondered about why he couldn't get the handle to close
>the way it should.

>McD-D knew about the difficulty with this door design because of an
>earlier loss of such from an American Airlines DC10. But that doesn't
>change the fact that the ground crewman was the one who was responsible
>for making sure the door was properly closed.

Where do you get the idea that the Algerian ground crewman was held
responsible for this accident.?. Part of the problem with this cargo
door design was that the force required to overpower/bend the linkage,
was not significantly higher than the force required to close it
normally. The only query raised about the Algerian ground crewman was
in relation to his linguistic capabilities, and consequent ability to
understand the closing sequence.
The accident was attributed to flawed design, followed by flawed
modifications to the design. The disgraceful aspect was the inadequate
response to the earlier near-loss over Windsor, Ontario.