Re: Source: AMR Agrees to Buy Boeing Jets

Date:         23 Nov 96 03:36:26
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

>American is phasing out it's wide body Douglas aircraft, indeed some of
>AA's "nonstop" Pacific flights actually included a fueling stop. The
>dc10-30 served AA well, but the MD11 just couldn't carry fuel, people and
>cargo all at once.

When AA started flying SJC-NRT, they made a technical stop across the
bay at OAK.  However, they started the service with the DC-10-30, and
were weight-limited due to a relatively short main runway at SJC.  I'm
not sure if they still needed the stop once they put the MD-11s into
service -- I think they did, at least some days -- but since San Jose
lengthened the runway to the current 10,200', the flight really has
been a non-stop.  From my old office, I often watched it fly over Palo
Alto and Menlo Park a little after 130p, flying its unusual departure,
which was required by its high weight which wouldn't allow it to fly a
normal departure from San Jose while turning and/or climbing enough to
clear the mountains.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com