Re: Source: AMR Agrees to Buy Boeing Jets

Date:         23 Nov 96 03:36:26
From:         gfmoff1@airmail.net (Gary Moffitt)

In article <airliners.1996.2511@ohare.Chicago.COM>, wb8foz@netcom.com
(David Lesher) wrote:

> C-reuters@clari.net (Reuters) writes:
>
> >        American is the largest operator of McDonnell Douglas'
> >narrowbody MD-80 jets, with some 260 airplanes, but relations
> >between the two companies soured when the larger MD-11 model
> >failed to meet initial performance standards, analysts said.
>
> What *IS* the outcome on the DC...oops MD-11?
>
> Last I heard, MD was paying for a mid-flight fuel stop
> or such?

American is phasing out it's wide body Douglas aircraft, indeed some of
AA's "nonstop" Pacific flights actually included a fueling stop. The
dc10-30 served AA well, but the MD11 just couldn't carry fuel, people and
cargo all at once.  In fact some of the MD11's are already gone, they are
being leased or sold to Fed Ex.  Besides what will those new 777's
replace?

--
Gary S. Moffitt