Re: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported

Date:         23 Nov 96 03:36:23
From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>

At 03:02 AM 11/21/96, you wrote:
>I've been reading all the usual excuses, but no real reason why the
>good old USA, where GPS was invented, still do not have GPS equipment
>in most commercial aircraft, even for use as a back-up.  Why not
>consider a few reasons for installation?

These are all good points and many people agree with you.  However, it is
not quite as simple as you make it out to be.  The qualification testing and
certification of the airline equipment is expensive and results in a good
price for the equipment.  Installing it in the airplane requires the
airplane to be out of action for a costly period and then you have to train
your pilots to use it correctly.   This usually adds up to some bean counter
saying....we have got along without it for all this time so why do we need
it now?  I don't think any of the recent accidents would have been prevented
with a GPS on board.

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com