Re: Desert airliner storage

Date:         23 Nov 96 03:36:21
From:         almcf@mitre.org (Al McFarland)

In article <airliners.1996.2490@ohare.Chicago.COM>, immel@earthlink.net wrote:

> I recently moved to Phoenix, Arizona, and was wondering where these big
> "aircraft parking lots" I here about are in the Desert. I've heard that
> they are somewhere between Phoenix and Tuscon. Does anyone know exactly
> where they are in Arizona, and if they are open to the public?  I've
> also heard there is an aircraft museum in Tuscon...can anyone give
> additional info on that.  Thanks!

A number of years ago, the Air Force stored a lot of aircraft at Davis
Monthan Air Force Base near Tucson.  I was stationed there for four months
upgrading to the F-4.   I remember mostly post WWII aircraft - B-47s,
B-57s, maybe B-58, F-84, F-86 types.  By now I would guess that some of
those F-4s I used to fly are probably there in storage, too.  I don't
remember that the area was open to the public, but the impressive numbers
of aircraft were visible from the public roads around the perimeter of the
base.  I am not aware of a comparable storage area for civil aircraft.