Re: Desert airliner storage

Date:         22 Nov 96 05:48:06
From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca (Brian Maddison)

Bob Immel <immel@earthlink.net> writes:

>I recently moved to Phoenix, Arizona, and was wondering where these big
>"aircraft parking lots" I here about are in the Desert. I've heard that
>they are somewhere between Phoenix and Tuscon. Does anyone know exactly
>where they are in Arizona, and if they are open to the public?  I've
>also heard there is an aircraft museum in Tuscon...can anyone give
>additional info on that.  Thanks!

The major storage facility is Pinal Airpark near Marana. It is signposted
off I-10 between Eloy and Tucson. This is a private facility operated by
Evergreen. Once upon a time, tours were available with just a phone call,
but I believe this is no longer the case. I had no luck on my last visit.

Close by is Avra Valley (off I-10 at Rillito). Some retired fire bomber
DC-4s are stored here along with a few other Convairs and C-119s. Two
Constellations are also based here.

Nearer Phoenix is Memorial Field, Chandler (actually it's closer to
Ocotillo than Chandler). This is the base of T & G, and there are some
DC-4s and DC-7s out to pasture.

Further afield, Kingman (NW Arizona) is home to many, many stored BAe
Jetstreams and a few other types including (Oct 96) about a dozen
ValuJet DC-9s.

The Pima Air Museum is on Valencia Road east of Tucson, right across from
Davis-Monthan AMARC. Certainly worth a visit.

Hope this helps..

Brian