Re: Ansett NZ 1995 DH8 crash

Date:         22 Nov 96 05:48:05
From:         avcomlab@mac.express.co.nz (Neil J. Bartlett)

In article <airliners.1996.2248@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Peter Dowden
<peter@ernest.otago.ac.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Nov 1996, michael keenan wrote:
> > <info about CVRs, etc., snipped>
> >
> > I don't know anything about this crash. Do you have any information on the
> > circumstances?
>
> No! :-)
> I don't have much memory of the exact details,

Flight attendant and three pax died, One pax from post-crash burns when he
was caught in a short lived flash fire near an engine while assisting
others to get out of aircraft.

TAIC accident report is held up due the CVR court case (NZ ALPA won an
injuction stopping release of transcript, and TAIC refuseing to publish
Acc Report without the transcript).

Newspapers at the time reported that U/carrage failure was reported by pax
and may have distracted pilots. A/c hit ground at about 6 nm from runway
25 (a new VOR approach since you were in NZ Michael) and while in cloud.