Re: Concorde

Date:         21 Nov 96 03:02:20
From:         charlie1@easynet.co.uk (Charlie Whitaker)

Rich Webb <95rgw2@eng.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

>What is the top speed of Concorde, AND more importantly, can it maintain
>this speed (or any supersonic speed) without the aid of afterburners?

Mach 2.02 is the normal cruising speed, I believe. This is sustained
without afterburners, although those are used for transonic acceleration.

This 'supercruise' capability is essential for reasons of fuel economy.

Some more interesting facts I think I remember:

- As speed increases the trim must be altered. To avoid the drag which trim
tabs would cause this is done by pumping fuel around, altering the centre
of gravity.

- During 'supercruise' the plane tends to gradually climb, so that on one
side of the Atlantic it is at, say, 50,000 feet, but by the time it is
across the ocean (about 2 hours later) it has climbed to around 60,000
feet. This is known as 'cruise-climb.'

- The term 'supercruise' has come into vogue since the advent of the F-22.
Watch out for USAnians on rec.aviation.military who claim that the F-22
will be the only aircraft in the world with 'supercruise' - they are wrong
:-).

Regards,

Charlie