Re: End of airliner evolution?

Date:         21 Nov 96 03:02:20
From:         trussell@magmacom.com

On 18 Nov 96 10:11:14 , GWilson404@aol.com wrote:

>The first hydrogen powered aircraft was the English Electric (now British
>Aerospace) Canberra, built under license as the Martin B-57. They loaded one
>tip tank with hydrogen and the other with helium for pressurisation, flew up
>to high altitude conventionally then successfully switched over to hydrogen
>power.

The item I read was that they only fueled 1 engine on H2 but it was a
Canberra, thanks for the reminder.
Before I said " what's the problem (with Hydrogen)" of course some do
exist.

Larger vehicles ie: aircraft, ships, trucks have fewer problems that a
passenger car for using H2 because it's bulky.

Planes and ships can use it with ease because the size of the fuel
tank is not as important but smaller vehicle such as a car currently
wouldn't have a trunk, it would be all tank and then some.

But this is a group on airliners so:

  I seem to remember seeing a Airbus test airliner in which the H2 was
stored in a hump along the top the aircraft.  Aircraft can also be
fueled with H2 in liquid form. So for AC storing H2 fuel should not be
a problem.

 The instillation of fueling equipment at airports would be a problem
because not all airports would be converted all at once.
This conversion would take place at the larger hub airports first
because the first  hydrogen fueled jets will be larger long distance
Airliners. I feel that every pound of jet fuel not burned will help
the earth (I am not really a tree hugger but it would help).

 These are just some ideas about how hydrogen may be put to use. I'm
not an expert just someone who has an interest in the technology.