Re: Long term planning for STAGE III

Date:         21 Nov 96 03:02:19
From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)

In article <airliners.1996.2370@ohare.Chicago.COM>, jfmezei@videotron.ca
says...

>In the year 2000, such aircraft will not longer be able to fly, right ?
>So the airline, which relies heavily on such planes will either need to
>buy new ones or hushkit them, right ?

As of right now, 50% (at least) of the operators fleet most already be
stage 3.

>In other words, should the airline decide to hush kit its 737s, how long
>would the process take ? Is this done during a D check, or would a 737
>be take off-line for a few days to be hushkitted without other checks ?

It depends on the aircraft and the modifications required to meet the
Stage 3 limits. Some aircraft require little or almost no modification
(e.g. L-188, and CV-580).  Others require extenisive enigine modification
such as nacelle or tailpipe acoustic lining (new tailpipe), respaced inlet
guide vanes, installation of a internal exhaust gas mixer, or installation
of a multilobed tailpipe just to name a few I could think of quickly.