Re: Long term planning for STAGE III

Date:         21 Nov 96 03:02:19
From:         rickydik@ix.netcom.com (RD Rick)

In <airliners.1996.2370@ohare.Chicago.COM> Jean-Francois Mezei
<jfmezei@videotron.ca> writes:

>In other words, should the airline decide to hush kit its 737s, how
>long would the process take ? Is this done during a D check, or would
>a 737 be take off-line for a few days to be hushkitted without other
>checks ?

I recently, and casually, observed a small airline's first hushkit job.
It was a DC9-30, and was programmed for two weeks, which it took.
It was not part of a C check, but included installation of TCAS and
Forward Looking Windshear weather radar at the same time.
I believe it was a kit by ABS.  It added a section ahead of the core,
and one aft.

Some of the time may have been in re-working the engines while the
plane sat, as JT-8D's are getting scarce.

This job could be done in conjunction with a C check (annual for
practical purposes), on pretty much a non-interference basis.
That means it would take a year to get a whole fleet cycled through.
RD