Re: Stage 3

Date:         21 Nov 96 03:02:19
From:         Malcolm Weir <malc@deltanet.com>

Scott Odle wrote:
> Why should the requirements change simply because some airline failed to plan
> ahead?  The same thing happened with TCAS and also happens from time to time
> with ADs.  For noise and TCAS there was plenty of notice and a phase in process
> (by the percentage of aircraft in your airline).  Many either did not realize
> or choose to ignore the impending deadlines.  Maybe in the hope that the
> deadlines would be extended.  When the deadlines came near many asked for
> exemptions, and as far as I know all were denied as far as TCAS was concerned.

As far as I recall, British Airways and Air France gained TCAS
implementation extensions (not exemptions) for their Concordes.

> Why should safety or in the case of noise why should the congresional mandate
> to reduce aircaft noise (at the publics insistence) be ignored simply because
> of someones poor planning.

Absolutely.  Stage III noise rules have been known for a *long* time.
If a carrier hasn't planned far enough in advance in order to get new
B737's, then they should get Airbus or McD products (Oh-ho! like USAir,
perhaps?)

Malc.