Re: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported

Date:         20 Nov 96 12:28:57
From:         "David G. Davidson" <gerhard@onramp.net>

>Airbus knew of a problem of thrust reversers  being activated prior to
>landing, so it put in logic to prevent this. Then, it found out that
>under certain conditions, the tests to see of plane was on ground were
>not true and had to make changes to their logic to accomodate such
>events.

This is not just Airbus. As I recall, the incident involving the
Piedmont 737 that went off the end of the runway and ended up against
railroad tracks was very similar to the LH A320 in Warsaw.

The Piedmont incident went something like this.

*Landed fast and long on a wet runway.
*Autospoilers didn't deploy because wheel-spin up didn't happen because
the wheels were hydroplaning.
*Reversers didn't deploy because the right gear wasn't planted on the
runway

There were more things involved but my memory fails me.

I don't have details on the A320 system but for TR deployment on the
737-200 the engine must be running, the fire handle must be in and the
right main gear must be on the ground. This is very simple logic and
full of holes.