Re: Kegworth

Date:         20 Nov 96 05:48:30
From:         "john r." <john@guava.demon.co.uk>

In article <airliners.1996.2406@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Bill Chivers
<Bill@chivcons.demon.co.uk> writes

>The real shame about this accident is that if the engine had just held
>together a few seconds more they might have just cleared the M1 cutting,
>or if it had come apart a few seconds earlier they might have had long
>enough to successfully relight the good engine.
>
>Also, an awareness that disconnecting the Autothrottle would affect fuel
>flow to *both* engines might have helped the crew avoid misdiagnosing
>the failure. Personally, I think there is a case for better technical
>training for professional pilots, perhaps concentrating a bit more on
>general engineering principals & control systems.

As I remember the crew had it in their heads that flight deck air came
from one pack and one engine only. When they had vibs and smoke in the
f/deck they shutdown that engine and it cleared. Unfortunatly they could
not see the vib indicators clearly due mainly to the smoke and shut down
the wrong engine. The vibs and smoke cleared because they put the
running sick engine to idle while they did a power off descent on a
divertion into their homebase at East Midlands. The engine fault did not
show at idle and only when they put power back on did they realise their
error.

The LCD display unit on that a/c has very small engine vibration
indicators, less than an inch dimeter and more importantly there are no
latching warnings to say when an engine vibs have gone over a pre set
level.
With smoke in the flightdeck the displays could not be seen clearly and
when the vibs and smoke cleared there was no exceedance warning to say
which engine had been in trouble. All a/c I can think of have some form
of latch on the vibs system, though this can be reset.
I dont know of any follow up action on this one.

--
john relph.