Re: "Crooked 737s?"

Date:         18 Nov 96 10:11:14
From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>

At 01:52 AM 11/11/96, you wrote:
>Ted Pleavin wrote:
>> Did anyone ask if the taxi way was flat or concave.  Maybe it's the gear
>> trying to keep up to the nose gear.  I do know the 747 is hard to keep on
>> the center line of a concave taxi way because it wants to roll off either
>> side.
>
>If anyone would design a concave runway, that would hold water during
>rain, I would not want to land there. I assume they are all flat or
>slightly convex.

=======Some of the old runways that i have landed on have ruts where years
of  landing have somewhat pounded down the surface...these ruts hold water
and cause severe hydroplaning problems on high speed landings.  Cost me at
least one set of skins on an F-4.  Most of the runways do seem to be
somewhat higher in the middle where the water will run of to each side.
There are also the ones that have grooves cut into the landing surface and
those that have porous asphalt surface that lets the water drain off of the
surface.  Interestingly, the water comes back to the top when it freezes,
giving a form of black ice...not nice.

Somehow we need some good all weather surfaces...Heated with drainage?

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com
206-946-4815