Re: 727 rudder

From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:26

On 06 Feb 96 14:15:40 , hazlett@moon.pr.erau.edu (Kathryn Hazlett) said:

K> Why does the 727 have a two piece rudder?

K> What are the advantages or disadvantages of a two piece rudder?

You don't have to gang so many actuators to move two smaller surfaces
than one bigger one.  Plus, the actuators can be smaller, run on less
pressure, and so on.

Also, two smaller rudders have a much lighter structure than one
bigger one and the vertical tail doesn't need to be so strong because
it's not resisting so much torque fro the single bigger surface.

--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA