Re: End of airliner evolution?

Date:         18 Nov 96 10:11:14
From:         GWilson404@aol.com

>>>............................ one more complete generation of
>>>oil-burners, then we'd start to see hydrogen powered aircraft. That
>>>would solve the NOx problem, at least.....

Actually H2 powered engines still produce NOX as a result of the heat of
combustion.

>On 05 Nov 96 04:13:59 , Michael Carley <mjcarley@maths.tcd.ie> wrote
>
>H2 powered jets are not new it was tested in the 50'a.

The first hydrogen powered aircraft was the English Electric (now British
Aerospace) Canberra, built under license as the Martin B-57. They loaded one
tip tank with hydrogen and the other with helium for pressurisation, flew up
to high altitude conventionally then successfully switched over to hydrogen
power.

Gerald Wilson