Re: Concorde

Date:         18 Nov 96 10:11:13
From:         Michael Catchpole <mike_c@egss.source.co.uk>

Rich Webb wrote:
> What is the top speed of Concorde, AND more importantly, can it maintain
> this speed (or any supersonic speed) without the aid of afterburners?

Top speed of Concorde is about Mach 2 (1350mph approx). Reheat is not
required to maintain this speed. However it is required to get there (also
required for a short time on takeoff)

There is an excellent video documentary on Concorde. It is 5 hours long!!!
It is very detailed and takes you through all the systems, including a
return flight London-Heathrow (LHR/EGLL) - New York Kennedy (JFK/KJFK) on
the BA001 and BA002. The video is available from Intelligent Television
& Video, who's website is http://www.itvv.co.uk/aviation/

>From what I recall from the video, reheat (or afterburners, which ever
you prefer) is selected on stand by before take-off and automatically
flicks on when the throttles are advanced.

Michael.