Re: Reuters Story On Peru Boeing 757 Crash and DR

Date:         17 Nov 96 20:04:03
From:         khobar@paloverde.com (Paul Nixon)

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM says...

>The cargo door handle wasn't bent, part of the internal locking
>mechanism was bent.  The ground worker never wondered because the
>difference in force between locking a properly closed cargo door
>and bending the mechanism was almost imperceptible.  This was one
>of the key complaints about the design -- there was almost no
>feedback that the door was not properly closed and locked.

This could be. My source is the docum. "Could It Have Been Avoided",
produced sometime in the mid-70's. In that, the narrator stated that
the ground (mechanic???) forced the handle, bending it into place, but
no one would be able to ask him why he did so because he then boarded
the plane. This docum. could have been produced between the time of the
crash and the final results of the "official" investigation.

Comments?

Regards,
Paul Nixon
(posted and mailed)