Re: Reuters Story On Peru Boeing 757 Crash and DR

Date:         17 Nov 96 20:04:02
From:         Andrea Tylczak <atylczak@mindlink.bc.ca>

Excuse me for interrupting, but I think you're experiencing technical
difficulties.

>>>McD-D knew about the difficulty with this door design because of an
>>>earlier loss of such from an American Airlines DC10.

McDonnell didn't know or care.  The DC-10 was designed and certified by
Douglas Aircraft;  hence the name DC-10 rather than MD-10. McDonnell
bought Douglas after the DC-10 development (which was a race with
Lockheed's L-1011) drained Douglas's financial resources. Lockheed had
some troubles with the L-1011 too.  As a result, they are no longer in
the commercial airliner business.

>>[MD] incorporated blow-out panels in the bottom of the cabin sidewall,
>>so that if there was ever a major difference in pressure between the
>>cabin and the cargo holds again, the panels would open and allow the
>>pressure to equalize, which would stop the floor bowing onto the control
>>cables.

>Are you absolutely certain about this?  My understanding has been that
>this was discussed, but never actually implemented.

Yes, this is correct.  Every commercial airplane made by Douglas has
blow-out panels or the equivalent to equalize pressure between
compartments in case a pressure bulkhead is ruptured.  In general, this
is not just between the passenger cabin and the cargo compartment, but
also between various compartments (lavatory and passenger cabin, cockpit
and avionics compartment, etc.)  I can't speak from personal experience,
but I would expect that Boeing has similar designs.  This is required for
certification by FAR 25.