Re: ETOPS

Date:         17 Nov 96 20:04:02
From:         lstone@interserve.com (Larry Stone)

dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com (David T. Medin) wrote:

>I thought the El-Al 747 crash in Amsterdam was attributed to just such
>a scenario. One engine has an uncontained failure which also affected
>the adjacent engine, leading to an uncontrollable airplane.
>
>Can anyone remember if the:
>
>        1. Pilot knew he had lost both engines on one wing
>        2. That the adverse yaw was responsible for the crash

I think I know what you're trying to say but that's not what "adverse yaw"
means. Adverse yaw is the tendency of a plane to yaw opposite the desired
direction of a turn due to added drag from a lowered aileron as compared
to the opposite side raised aileron. It is adverse yaw that requires that
the rudder also be used in a turn to provide the offsetting yaw.

While there is a yawing moment caused by the assymetrical thrust that
result when a non-center-line engine fails, I have never heard it referred
to as "adverse yaw".

--
-- Larry Stone --- lstone@interserve.com
   http://www.interserve.com/~lstone/