Re: Concorde

Date:         15 Nov 96 12:25:39
From:         Niels Stchedroff <N.Stchedrof@PROFS.ISCL1.silon.simis.com>

s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle) wrote:
>In article <airliners.1996.2393@ohare.Chicago.COM>, 95rgw2@eng.cam.ac.uk
>says...
>>
>>I have been reading this news group for some time now and I have decided
>>to ask my first question.
>>
>>What is the top speed of Concorde, AND more importantly, can it maintain
>>this speed (or any supersonic speed) without the aid of afterburners?
>
>I was recently talking to some of my JAA counterparts and was told that
>the afterburners are used to accelerate from Mach 0.8 to 1.7 (I think
>that is what they said the range was) but that they were not required for
>cruise.

Conccorde cruises at Mach 2.02 (or thereabouts). It only uses the
afterburners for takeoff and transonic acceleration. In other words, it
supercruises. If the afterburners were used continuously, the plane could
in theory reach speeds above Mach 2.5. However, airframe heating would
cause structural damage above Mach 2.2 (approx.).