Re: India:747/Tu154 collision +TCAS

Date:         15 Nov 96 12:25:35
From:         Francis.Jambon@imag.fr (Francis JAMBON)

In article (Dans l'article) <airliners.1996.2387@ohare.Chicago.COM>,
kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) wrote (écrivait) :

> >I forget...do -both- a/c need TCAS to make it effective?
>
> I *think* the other aircraft need only have a (mode C?) transponder.

TCAS-I (for small airplanes): The TCAS-I can show the position of the
other aircraft. If the other aircraft have a mode C transponder (instead
of a mode A) the TCAS-I also show altitude. I don't think that the TCAS
equiped airplanes absolutely need a working transponder (except for
altitude comparison), but they usualy have one.

For the TCAS-II (for airliners): The other airplane need a mode S
transponder. So the TCAS-II can generate traffic warnings (TA) and
resolution requests (RA) to avoid collision in the vertical plan only. If
both airplanes have a mode S transponder, the manoeuvering of the two
airplanes are coordinates.

For the TCAS-III (in project) : The TCAS can generate manoeuvering in both
vertical and horizontal plan.

Hope this helps.

Francis Jambon

--
Equipe Ingenierie des Interfaces Homme-Machine          Tel : +33 4 76 63 59 70
Human-Computer Interfaces Engineering Group             Fax : +33 4 76 44 66 75