Re: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported

Date:         13 Nov 96 02:41:22
From:         Reid Fairburn <cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com>

At 01:50 AM 11/11/96, you wrote:
>I agree that adding more hardware/software to a plane every time
>there is a particular accident will add weight, complexity, and might
>not make the plane any safer.
>
>I just wonder about gps, however.
>
>I own a gps that costs 300 bucks, and can display location, speed, and
>altitude with reasonalbe accuracy.  Is every airliner equiped with a gps
>now, and if so why not? This device could also prevent kal-007 type
>accidents.

=====No Andrew, they are not.  The primary reason is cost.  While the one
you have is a good one...for recreation...you have to have a gold plated one
to use it in the airplane due to all the certification requirements.  There
are GPS units available and they are being slowly retrofitted to the older
airplanes.  In the eyes of the airline money changers, the GPS must pay it's
way and since we have gotten along without it for so long why should we
spend so much to get it now?  This can be a good question if you really
don't need it.  Current Nav Systems work well but have limitations that GPS
can lift.  I don't think that the use of GPS will eliminate some of the
recent accidents...quite unrelated I would say.  It will certainly help out
in the future and should be standard equipment on all new planes.

Reid Fairburn
Creative Kingdom, Inc.
cr_king@cr_king.seanet.com
206-946-4815