Re: 777 drogue chute on tail

From:         shafer@ferhino.dfrc.nasa.gov (Mary Shafer)
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:23

On 08 Feb 96 03:21:05 , faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) said:

> In viewing a recent re-run of '21st Century Jet' which highlighted
> the 777 I noted that during ground trials and the initial flight the
> following. At the top of the fin there was what appeared to be a
> small parachute drogue on a line some 10 to 20 metrs in length.
> Difficult to determine the exact size as scale on the 777 is hard to
> establish.

cmf> That is not a drogue chute, but a stabilizing cone for the
cmf> trailing static pressure line.  In flight, the line is let out to
cmf> provide a static pressure source far from from the influence of
cmf> turbulent air around the airplane. There was also a trailing wire
cmf> that extended from the tailcone on WA001.

A little more information on trailing cones may be found in the air
data section of the "How to Instrument a Research Aircraft" document
on my home page (address in signature), with a lot more about air
data.

--
Mary Shafer               NASA Dryden Flight Research Center, Edwards, CA
SR-71 Flying Qualities Lead Engineer     Of course I don't speak for NASA