Re: 777 drogue chute on tail

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:23

C. Marin Faure <faurecm@halcyon.com> writes (Sat Feb 10 20:55:41 1996):-

> The small trailing cone the original poster observed is a stabilizer
> for the long trailing wire static source we reel out of the plane to get
> static pressure readings free of any air turbulence near the plane
> itself.  It is used on all Boeing planes that are in Flight Test.

The same cone and line are clearly visible on both of the publicity
photos I have of the A320 and A340 (presumably taken during flight test).

Pete
----
Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Square, London EC1V 0HB, UK. Tel: +44 (171) 477-8422, Fax: +44 (171) 477-8585
E-mail: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk