Re: India:747/Tu154 collision +TCAS

Date:         12 Nov 96 13:58:52
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Followups:    1 2 3

>But my question: shouldn't the Saudia 747 have had TCAS,
>sinc ethey do frequent US airspace?

They may only use select aircraft for service to the US, so only some
of their aircraft would need TCAS and perhaps other special equipment
for US operations.  (I have no idea if they actually do this or not.)
Even if TCAS-equipped, it's possible they weren't using it if they
weren't required to do so, perhaps if it was inoperative.

>I forget...do -both- a/c need TCAS to make it effective?

I *think* the other aircraft need only have a (mode C?) transponder.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com