Re: ATR-72's and Airbuses

Date:         11 Nov 96 01:52:19
From:         Joseph Edward Nemec <nemecj@mit.edu>

Jean-Francois Bosc wrote:

> rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>
> > Jean-Francois Bosc <bosc@perige.eis.enac.dgac.fr> writes:
> > >Once again probably some totally independant and unbiased point of view. If I
> > >had to choose in which type of aircraft not to set foot, I would probably be
> > >more worried by the amazing number of Boeing crashes during the last few years,
> > >which were generally caused by technical failures, or remain unexplained ...
> >
> > Perhaps that's just a tad more honest than blaming every crash on "pilot
> > error" and washing hands of any further need for investigation.
> >
> > Lastly: I would  suggest that any Euronationalist apologist who is tempted
> > to respond to this or any other post on the book just read the thing.  It's
> > a remarkable piece of work, not least in the fact that it got
> > published.
>
> May I connect the fact that 99% of the contributors on this group are American
> with the other fact that comments appearing in "Airbus vs Boeing" threads are
> often single-sided, and sometimes obviously biased ?

And largely correct, I might add.

> My (limited) "technical" knowledge comes down to this : airlines still buy
> Airbus and ATR, which seems to indicate that they are run by idiots.

Certainly. Most airplane crashes have to do with weather or bad
maintenance. Some, such as a few of the early A320 crashes, could also
be blamed on bad design.

> Quite
> surprisingly however, these airlines usually don't collapse shortly after
> making such a bad move. Even more surprisingly, as far as I know the number of
> Airbus or ATR crashes is not particularly high.

The number of Airbus A320 crashes is quite high, actually, especially
considering that the plane is relatively new.

--
Joseph Edward Nemec
nemecj@mit.edu