Re: "Crooked 737s?"

Date:         11 Nov 96 01:52:19
From:         mikem727@aol.com (MikeM727)

In article <airliners.1996.2100@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM
(Karl Swartz) writes:

> Delta Express expects to save money in other ways, such as taxiing
>    into gates using only the left engine, so that baggage can be
>    unloaded from the right side and ensure a quick turnaround for the
>    next takeoff.
>
>Not quite the same circumstances as taxiing out to the runway for
>departure (with the added weight of fuel for the flight), but clearly
>Delta doesn't think it's stupid to taxi on one engine.

Like you say, shutting down one engine while rolling into the gate is a
little different that taxiing around on one engine.  So much extra thrust
is required to get the thing moving, that much of the advantage is lost at
heavy weights.  Also depends how long the line is for takeoff.

In article <airliners.1996.2126@ohare.Chicago.COM>, nw@ix.netcom.com (Neil
Wagner) writes:

>However, on
>some aircraft, there is a longeron at exactly the bottom of the
>fuselage, so the fin antennas are typically mounted slightly offset
>from the bottom, between the bottom and adjacent longerons.  This
>might lead one to believe the plane is taxiing crooked.

I guarantee you it's not the antennas that lead me to believe the 737 is
taxiing crooked.  The fact that the nosewheel tracks the centerline while
the main gear are not equidistant to the centerline sure makes a
convincing argument, though!

Mike,
ATP/FE, Boeing 727
Props are for boats!