Re: A second 757 crash -- off the Dominican coast

From:         BMADDISO@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:21
Followups:    1 2 3 4

kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:

>Oeger Tours, based in Hamburg, said it had chartered half of the seats
>on the plane.  Several reports claim Oeger chartered its share of the
>flight at the last minute, after a 767 that it had originally chartered
>was grounded due to mechanical troubles.  (One report says that flight
>actually departed but returned to Puerto Plata after a few minutes.
>It's hard to see any relevance to this unless there turns out to have
>been some miscalculation due to a last-minute doubling of load.)

What follows is pure speculation.

If indeed the 767 did depart and return, what is the possibility there
was fuel contamination as a common cause. Or even worse, use of the wrong
fuel entirely ?

This prompts the following questions.

Is there any safeguard to prevent uploading the wrong fuel on to a jet
airliner. Something like nozzle sizes, perhaps. I know the various
fuels are different colors, but this was nighttime.

If not, what would be likely to happen ? Assuming the 757 had some
(correct) fuel left in the tanks upon arrival, would it have been
able to taxi, depart and fly for three minutes before the engines quit.

Does anyone have examples of prior incidents of mis-fueling on airliners.
I know of a C130 Hercules which suffered this in Africa some years back.
The airplane survived but required substantial repairs in order to purge
the system.

Brian Maddison