Re: Inert Gas in Fuel Tanks

Date:         11 Nov 96 01:50:35
From:         Bob Falkiner <falkiner@interlog.com>

Bob Standaert wrote:

> Several of the comments on inert gases caught my attention, so I thought
> I'd offer up some tidbits.  Even though the point is moot, there are
> some interesting things to think about.

You would never do this with liquid nitrogen.  You already have a couple
of huge compressors on board (engines) with existing bleed air systems.
Since aircraft take off with lots of fuel, the vapour space is minimized
at takeoff, and combined with depressurization, and low fuel use, the
amount of makeup gas needed on board during a typical long haul flight
would be very small, and would easily be in the range of the gas
diffusion systems, without use of any cryogenic or high pressure storage
systems..