Re: Reuters Story On Peru Boeing 757 Crash and DR

Date:         10 Nov 96 04:52:44
From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)

In aritlce $-1, Pete Finlay wrote:
>In article <airliners.1996.2287@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Paul Nixon
><khobar@paloverde.com> writes

>>McD-D knew about the difficulty with this door design because of an
>>earlier loss of such from an American Airlines DC10.

>the American Airlines DC-10 crash was nothing to do with the cargo door;
>... BTW, I am assuming you are talking about the American Airlines DC-10
>that went in at Chicago.

He didn't say anything about an American Airlines DC-10 crash, merely
the loss of a cargo door from one of their DC-10s.  That would be the
incident involving AA flight 96 on June 12, 1972, which lost the same
rear cargo door as did THY 981 while climbing out of DTW over Windsor,
Ontario.  Many regard that as a second "dress rehearsal" of sorts for
the Paris crash.  (The first was a similar incident on May 29, 1970,
during testing on the ground, three months before the DC-10's first
flight.)

>[MD] incorporated blow-out panels in the bottom of the cabin sidewall,
>so that if there was ever a major difference in pressure between the
>cabin and the cargo holds again, the panels would open and allow the
>pressure to equalize, which would stop the floor bowing onto the control
>cables.

Are you absolutely certain about this?  My understanding has been that
this was discussed, but never actually implemented.

--
Karl Swartz	|Home	kls@chicago.com