Re: Air Brakes???

Date:         10 Nov 96 04:52:43
From:         Wolfgang Decker <wdecker@imindspring.com>

Mark A. C. Wilson wrote:

> I would like some information about the probability of a cellular or any
> kind of transmitter being able to mess up the air brake system of a Fokker
> 100. I am a High School student taking flying lessons, and heard about the
> accident down in Brazil last Thursday, October 31st, where this Aircraft
> fell into a residential neighborhood after take off due to a passanger's
> cellular phone. The phone (somehow) opened the air brakes and reversed the
> troutle of the right engine, slaming the aircraft into a residential
> building couple minutes after takeoff. The pilot of the aircraft behind
> claims to have seen the right air brake open couple times during takeoff.
> If anyone could explain to me how this is possible, I would appreciate.

I suppose the high frequent emission of the cell phone simply messed up
the board computer systems. While these systems are pretty good covered
against HF emissions coming from outside - remember the Faraday effect
and look at the fuselage, made completely of metal - HF emitted inside a
cage can have pretty nasty effects. Also all the computer systems are
high frequency systems, and some of them run in the same frequence range
as the cell phones operate.
I vaguely remember an accident in Italy, also caused by someone who
thought, that safety rules on an airplane are only for poeple coming
from mars.

Good luck

Wolfgang Decker
wdecker@mindspring.com