Re: Airbus on a roll

Date:         10 Nov 96 04:52:42
From:         Malcolm Weir <malc@deltanet.com>

McElravy wrote:
> The article made no mention of any other orders, but I suspect that USAir
> may yet order some Boeings -- 777s maybe.

Why?  USAir's current route system certainly doesn't justify 777's, and
even assuming USAir wins big in its ploy of getting London routes, most
of the arguments in favor of these routes focus on the smaller markets,
like Charlotte, Pittsburgh and Philadelphia (smaller than, say, New
York!).

For these markets, the 767 and the 757 make a lot of sense, perhaps the
757-300 would be a better candidate for the sort of airline that USAir
is?

Or perhaps the A330 or A340, offering some cockpit commonality with the
A320 class?

The 777 does seem to be just a bit of a status symbol to some people
(for the airline that has everything)!