Re: Stage 3

Date:         10 Nov 96 04:52:42
From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)

In article <airliners.1996.2298@ohare.Chicago.COM>, vangal@u.washington.edu
says...

>I thought that the airlines are placing large orders now to comply with
>the Stage 3 noise requirements by end of 1999. If it looks like Boeing
>can't keep up with production of 737s, maybe the FAA should move the
>requirements to 2002 or something.

Why should the requirements change simply because some airline failed to plan
ahead?  The same thing happened with TCAS and also happens from time to time
with ADs.  For noise and TCAS there was plenty of notice and a phase in process
(by the percentage of aircraft in your airline).  Many either did not realize
or choose to ignore the impending deadlines.  Maybe in the hope that the
deadlines would be extended.  When the deadlines came near many asked for
exemptions, and as far as I know all were denied as far as TCAS was concerned.
Why should safety or in the case of noise why should the congresional mandate
to reduce aircaft noise (at the publics insistence) be ignored simply because
of someones poor planning.