Re: Peruvian 757 crash -- possible cause reported

Date:         10 Nov 96 04:52:41
From:         s_odle@earthlink.net (Scott Odle)

In article <airliners.1996.2302@ohare.Chicago.COM>, praxis@online.no says...

>However, theory aside, isn't it amazing that modern aircraft with all
>this technology is not equipped with a sensor to check for obstructed
>static and / or dynamic ports? It would be fairly simple to sound an
>alarm if for instance increasing wheel-speed on take-off doesn't
>correspond with an increasing dynamic pressure. Or to sound an alarm if
>engine-power and climb-attitude doesn't correspond with a decreasing
>static pressure. I believe all the sensors are already in place, so all
>you would need is some additional software logic. This could be of
>assistance to the pilots, because a situation with obstructed static or
> dynamic ports is extremely confusing since you can loose both the
>airspeed indicator, the altimeter and the climb indicator.

There is another consideration.  If we required software/hardware installed on
an aircraft in order to prevent every stupid mistake that can be made (and yes
to me missing the taped ports is stupid) the aircraft would not only to
expensive for any airline to buy, but to heavy to ever get off the ground. The
basic question is where do we stop when it comes to adding requirements to
prevent accidents due to someones dumb mistake.  Should we require that the
structure have an even greater factor of safety, make them carry even more
fuel, etc. just because someone might decide to exceed the limitations of the
aircraft or not do a proper pre-flight.