Re: Airbus on a roll

From:         Chuanga@cris.com (H Andrew Chuang)
Date:         08 Nov 96 05:24:24

>Another large A330 may be near, too.  Asiana recently ordered 18
>A321s (the first in Southeast Asia?)

Well, first a geographical correction, Korea is in Northeast Asia
or East Asia.  Second, I know Taiwan's Trans Asia Airways has four
A321s on order.  Also, Air Macau has at least two A321s in operation,
but their A321s are probably leased planes.  I'm not sure.

>with deliveries starting in 1998
>and going thru 2005.  Asiana reportedly is also negotiating for 20
>A330s, with options for another two, with 1999-2005 deliveries.

This potential A330 order has been reported for quite a while, but it
has yet to be materialzed.  One or two weeks ago, when the WSJ reported
the A321 order, it said Asiana would probably order Boeings for its
remaining fleet expansion plan.  I was kinda surprised by the report.
I went to check with a Korean guy, and he told me that it appeared that
Asiana might not order the A330 after all.  The same guy told me
earlier that Asiana was originally told by the Korean government to
order from both Boeing and Airbus, because they didn't want to upset
either side.  Perhaps, this explains why Korean Air has one of the
most "diversed" fleet in the world.