Re: ETOPS

From:         dtmedin@cca.rockwell.com (David T. Medin)
Date:         08 Nov 96 05:24:24

In article <airliners.1996.2250@ohare.Chicago.COM>, Steve Lacker <slacker@arlut.utexas.edu> writes:
|> michael keenan wrote:
|> > The only scenario I can think of is with tri-jets. If you lose one of the
|> > wing engines on a DC-10/MD-11 or an L-1011, and it's an uncontained
|> > failure, I could imagine pieces of the engine getting sucked into the
|> > intake of the tail engine and taking that out. '
|>
|> I think there have been a number of instances where an uncontained failure
|> of #2 or #3 on a 4-engine plane has taken out #1 or #4 as well. In fact,
|> I find this much more likely than a wing engine on a tri-jet taking out
|> the tail engine ...

I thought the El-Al 747 crash in Amsterdam was attributed to just such
a scenario. One engine has an uncontained failure which also affected
the adjacent engine, leading to an uncontrollable airplane.

Can anyone remember if the:

	1. Pilot knew he had lost both engines on one wing
	2. That the adverse yaw was responsible for the crash

--
       David Medin            Phone: (319) 295-1862
   Rockwell Collins ATD	      Internet: