Re: ETOPS

From:         cd@birch119.cray.com (Chris Dickson)
Date:         06 Nov 96 05:12:39

In article <airliners.1996.2249@ohare.Chicago.COM>, rdd@netcom.com (Robert Dorsett) writes:
> In article <airliners.1996.2233@ohare.Chicago.COM> faurecm@halcyon.com (C. Marin Faure) writes:
> >ingestion, but as of a year ago when I saw the records as part of
> >researching an ETOPS video I was producing, there was not a single case of
> >both engines in a twin failing for different causes, simultaneously or
> >otherwise.
>
> Does that include the pilot pulling the plug on the wrong engine as part
> of an engine-out procedure? :-)

In January '89 there was a British Midland 737-400 (Flt BD-92) which crashed
just short of the runway at East Midlands airport, England. A fan blade had
failed on one engine. The crew shut down the wrong one and for various reasons
did not realize it until the engine failed completely late on final.

The AAIB reports online don't seem to go back that far - but there was
an April 89 Flight international editorial on the potential ETOPS implications
of this crash. This can be found at :

http://www.infowar.com/iwftp/risks/Risks-8/risks-8.59.txt

Some people would say that one engine becoming inoperable and the other
being shut down does not constitute a "double failure". Such semantic
quibbling is irrelevant. If the engines aren't running, they're not running.
er....
That's it.