Re: Boeing 767 incident

From:         peter neville gurnell <pgurnell@direct.ca>
Date:         16 Feb 96 04:33:17

ae562@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric Thomas) wrote:

> I just heard on the radio an interesting story concerning a Canadian
> airlines Boeing 767.  Apparently last night (Jan. 29), at Pearson
> International airport in Toronto, Canada, the Boeing 767 was parked at its
> landing gate, and suddenly a strong wind gust hit the plane such that the
> plane rotated some 90 degrees, and nearly hit a British Airways 747.  The
> report stated that the wind lifted the plane by its wings, causing it to
> turn.
>
> In cases when there is lots of gusty wind outside, are there any tie-down
> or other proceedures for making sure that these larger 'parked' planes don't
> accidentally move around?

Considering that the Vr for a 767 with no lift devices deployed would
be in the neighbourhood of 200 kt. it is highly unlikely that there was
sufficent wind to "lift" the aircraft and that wind would have to be
coming directly out of T3.  A more likely scenario would be that the
terminal apron was iced over and a strong wind blew the verical stab.
such that the nose swung around.  A downdraught on the horizontal stab.
would have helped.  Once the aircraft is parked at the gate and the
groundcrew has notified the flight deck that the wheel chocks are in place
the parking brake is released.  I was once in the Wx office at BUF in
the middle of winter and the wind was blowing quite strongly.  We watched
in horror as the DC-3 we had just parked slid 50 yards across the ramp and
turned 180 deg. with nobody in it.  I have never heard of any "tie downs"
for large commercial aircraft and I suspect that the frequency of occur-
ance of winds which would require the procedure, is so minimal that
it would not be cost effective.

				Peter.

"Behind every great fortune, there is a crime."